Woodward home destroyed in fire

Article originally sourced from Woodward News

"A woodward resident’s home went up on flames on Friday when the resident tried to use alcohol as a way to remove bed bugs and the flammable vapors caught a heat source on fire, fire officials said.


A residence in the 1700 block of Jefferson was engulfed in flames around 9:30 a.m. Friday morning. According to officials, the fire ignited because the owner was trying to perform some house keeping and realized there were bed bugs.


It will be the second time in less than a week nationally that a home fire was started as a result of the practice of killing bedbugs with alcohol.


In Cincinnati on Sunday, three people were hospitalized and several others lost their homes when a woman accidentally started a fire inside a multifamily building while trying to kill bed bugs with alcohol authorities said.


According to Fire Chief Todd Finley, the alcohol makes a vapor and when it gets next to any open flame, even a candle or a heater, it can ignite that vapor and start a fire.


There has been a marked increase in the number of bed bug infestations of late.


According to numerous websites, 91 percent alcohol sprays can be used to effectively get rid of bed bug infestations. This will kill eggs, larvae and adult bed bugs and also deter new bed bug eggs. But the how -to sites are clear that the practice is dangerous and the extreme flammability of alcohol has to be taken into consideration and planned well ahead for. The experts also warn that for people living in multi-family units, neighbors should also be told that you will be using alcohol spray to clear up infestations.


And Finley is fine with people using the sprays to help rid themselves of the pesky bed bugs but he reminds home owners that alcohol is extremely flammable, creating an almost invisible flame initially. It is important when using any chemical in the home to read the warnings and also make certain there are no exposed heat sources that could cause a fire.


According to Finely, the home in Woodward Friday was a total loss. "


Source: http://www.woodwardnews.net/news/woodward-home-destroyed-in-fire/article_4a98257a-e1ee-11e7-a945-4b14c42b122a.html

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
OVER 28 YEARS EXPERIENCE

BedBug911 has been serving NYC with the best bed bug treatment for over two decades. Our bed bug exterminators have the experience necessary to develop a comprehensive solution to get rid of bed bugs fast - and make sure they're gone!

COMPANY PROFILE
QUICK LINKS
OUR SERVICES

PHONE:

718-627-5781

EMAIL:    

info@Bedbug911.com

ADDRESS:  

1324 East 15th Street Brooklyn, NY 11230

  • Yelp Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Pinterest Social Icon
  • Instagram
© 2020 by Bed Bug 911